Saturday, January 10, 2015

Jordana Modern Matte Lipsticks: Swatches & Review

I might have to start admitting that I'm becoming obsessed with lip products! ...Especially affordable drugstore lipsticks. And I love collecting all the shades when they're extremely affordable.

I really didn't think I would find the new Jordana Modern Matte lipsticks. But then low and behold, there was a display in Walgreens! And they were only $2.49! I did go to 2 more Walgreens to find the other shades I wanted. :) So that's why my initial pictures below are broken into 3 parts. But I will swatch them all together at the end of this blog post.

The packaging is cute. I love the font of the logo, and is think it's fun that the container matches the lipstick color inside. So on to the pictures! 

Left to right: 06 Matte Adorable, 07 Matte Popular, 09 Matte Dare, 10 Matte Pretty, 12 Matte Style
Left to right: 06 Matte Adorable, 07 Matte Popular, 09 Matte Dare, 10 Matte Pretty, 12 Matte Style
Left to right: 06 Matte Adorable, 07 Matte Popular, 09 Matte Dare, 10 Pretty, 12 Matte Style

Left to right: 01 Matte Bare, 02 Matte Blush, 04 Matte Tease, 05 Matte Classy
Left to right: 01 Matte Bare, 02 Matte Blush, 04 Matte Tease, 05 Matte Classy
Left to right: 01 Matte Bare, 02 Matte Blush, 04 Matte Tease, 05 Matte Classy

And then finally, I found 08 Matte It Girl at the 3rd Walgreens, so that's why she's all by herself! 

And then I wanted to swatch them all side-by-side for y'all so you can see the shades all together. 
Left to right: 01 Bare, 02 Blush, 04 Tease, 05 Classy, 06 Adorable, 07 Popular, 08 It Girl, 09 Dare, 10 Pretty, 12 Style
Left to right: 01 Bare, 02 Blush, 04 Tease, 05 Classy, 06 Adorable, 07 Popular, 08 It Girl, 09 Dare, 10 Pretty, 12 Style 

From first impressions (wearing them just a bit so far) and swatches, I actually like them!  I've heard from some people that theirs smell awful. Mine actually don't, and you know how sensitive I am to scents in makeup products! Mine smell like a subdued version of Mac lipsticks with a faint waxy scent behind that. But the scent doesn't bother me at all. If anything, I kind of like it! I'm guessing that there are maybe some bad or older batches that went to the shelves somehow, maybe?  Just speculation there! 

But overall, I think they're really fun lipsticks for $2.49 that come in a lot of versatile colors. Side note though: I do not like these more than the Wet N Wild MegaLast Lip Colors. Those will probably always be my favorite matte lipsticks from the drugstore!

And as far as the feeling on the lips, not all Modern Mattes are created equal. Some I have tried seem much drier than others and some are much more patchy and difficult to apply. While others are creamy, opaque, and very comfortable! Keep an eye out on my YouTube channel for a lip swatch and review video where I will go more in depth about each shade after I have had a chance to try them all out.


12 comments:

  1. Lol every time I find something at the store, I come home and you've also found them!!

    I'm reviewing these for my blog and you've said a lot of the same things I'm going to say!! #9 dare is very patchy and super dry, while some of the lighter colors are very nice.

    Mine do not smell either!! I've also heard people say that they couldn't stand the smell and I purposely opened every one and smelled it (I got every color but 3) and nothing! Weird right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know what happened with the smell on some people's. Maybe just bad batches? So odd!

      Delete
  2. I picked these up too! And I love them :)

    www.drugstoredreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are fun!!

      Delete
  3. I need Matte Dare and Matte Classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are both really pretty ones!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They're both really pretty shades!!

      Delete
  5. I got only matte tease , needmore , they like creamy mattes and not drying at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. are wet n wild lippies better than these?im confused between what brand to purchase...pls help...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie -Glad to hear that you like Wet N Wild lipsticks. I use them all the time when I do lipstick print readings at parties and events. Great shades - I can even get guys to put on the brownish ones. They are also affordable and fit my supply budget if my clients like the shade and want to take it with them. If you know of a better and less expensive brand that WNW - let me know. So far this is the best I have found for what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought 3 of these. Bare and Blush almost seem like they should trade color names... I have 'Blush' and it's too close to my face color...so I don't care for it. I love 'Bare' and I didn't care for the warm tone in 'Pretty' but my Grandma liked it, so I gave it to her. Matte lips were de rigueur in her younger days. I might try 'Tease' or 'Classy' when I return Blush.

    ReplyDelete